Thursday 28 March 2019

Trusting the stranger


Meeting strangers over social media is now all pervasive and less of a taboo.

I have a feeling I am not the only one. There are more lonely people in this “social” world than we think. 

How else would you explain the messages you receive on social media from strangers in which they disclose details from their personal life? They are desperate for a listening ear. And they are comfortable confiding in a stranger. They do not fear embarrassment. They just pour it all out. But how can one trust strangers so easily? Beats me too despite being guilty as charged. The only thing that sets me apart from those who do cold calls, is that I only confide in people I feel a connection with. And contrary to popular belief, a connection could be made the first time you meet or talk. Strange how strangers are now becoming confidants and your secrets are usually kept! That is unless two women or more are in on each other's secrets. Women, you know I am right! 

As a 34-yr old, I guess I am in a position to be a good judge of people. But there is more to this than age. 

Meeting and trusting strangers have never been easier. Take, for instance, the practice of hosting strangers in your house! A scary thought for many, but not for me. I believe Airbnb has made me trust people like nothing else has. I know you think this is loco, but I feel everything is becoming safer, more transparent and more accommodating. I am cautious and also spirited, not reckless. So its an art to suss the good souls from the evil doers. But hey how would you know unless you tried?  Recall that sky diving act you were terrified of? Well you did it, didn’t you? You trusted the master skydiver to take you down to safety and that too when you are up in the clouds so high above the ground! 

Worry not, if the above scare you stiff, for there are conventional ways. Been on dates? Well, I have. And I have dated men of different socio-economic statuses, nationalities, age, and political views. And I don’t just go on dates for the sheer fun of it -trust me dates are not always fun- but to become educated on how people think and perceive the very act of dating. I also do it to understand what qualities attract me in a mate and which ones I could do without! Now hold it, I am not saying I want a perfect man…there is no such thing as perfection…but I am surely entitled to my taste! And when you are finally ready, and you meet the one who has impeccable taste in clothing, can woo you with his mind, and matches your erotic fantasies, you know to let down your guard. It isn’t desperation. It is trust. It is comfort. 

People will judge. They won’t believe you either. They will call it it a bluff, a trap. If they do, you know you haven’t met the one yet. And although love, at first sight, is a rare sight, comfort, at first sight, need not be.  

The pervasive social media bears the brunt of the blame. It is making us vulnerable to wrongdoings they say. I wouldn’t disagree more. At least we ain’t Christopher Columbus who was determined to find India only to stumble on the Americas instead, after 4 voyages. Fortunately for him, he went down in history.  Unfortunately for us, we don't have the luxury of time. What we do have is technology! So what if strangers write to you? What if you are as lonely as them? Would you respond or continue remaining lonely? Would you confide in that man you have a good feeling about? Or would you hold back and seep deeper into solitude? Would you plunge into the relationship as the airy Gemini would? 

I know a good man when I talk to him. I know good people when I associate with them. I know good energy when I feel it. Just as I know how to put my finger on the vile.  And you know what I would say…practice makes perfect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I'd love to hear yours! Do leave a comment.