Thursday 6 September 2018

Eat and let eat!


I have never been a diet-friendly person. In fact, I have never believed in refraining from any kind of food. So dieticians never interested me. Neither did the fancy dieticians usually referred to as “sports nutritionists and nutritionists”. I could not understand how people pay a huge portion of their income for the advice of dieticians and nutritionists when all they ever do is tell you to give up foods that are either part of your culinary culture or part of adding variety to your meals.

With everyone obsessed with weight-loss, I always felt like the out one out. My friends, trainers, and family never really understood why I was so adamant about not following a certain diet. Why did I refuse to have Muesli, oats or granola instead of my bun Maska and chai? And trust me, I have explained to them over and over that diet is not something I can sustain in the long run. “Healthy” food as they call it is expensive, not readily available, and foreign (which means it is wrapped in preservatives).” I stood my ground and just trained at the gym and indulged in my favorite cardio workout- dancing!

So even though I am not a dietician and have no scientific background what so ever, I will be sharing my views on this multi-billion dollar industry and at the end of it I will conclude why I believe it is all a sham. Call me a traditionalist if you please, but what I am about to spell out here will get you thinking about that visit to your dietician or to the organic food store.

Don’t believe your dietician if they prevent you from: 
  • Eating white rice and carbs: Silly dietician doesn’t know that brown rice is a new fad. Before brown rice was even introduced into the market, white rice was the only option. And no one was obese. Rice does not cause cholesterol and neither will it make you fat! Neither is bread bad for you! My grandmother is over 70 years old and has been eating bread and rice till date. In China, people live longer even though they have rice and noodles. What is more important is to pay attention to the cooking methods and ingredients. So white rice doesn’t get you fat. It is the level of activity that has taken a dip since your grandmother’s and mother’s generation. And did you know that in Ayurveda, Pita- high people should avoid brown rice? 
  • Dairy: My grandmother has no idea what almond and soya milk are. She has always been drinking cow or goat milk.  And Hale and hearty, she is! Wonder why I had never heard of lactose intolerance and gluten-free products before I turned 24. Strange how new research comes about that negates age-old wisdom! And what’s that- Skim milk and fat-free dairy products? How in the world do you separate the fat from dairy? Do ask yourself that before you go buy that almond milk tetra pack! 
  • Fruits and sugars: It is not the sugar in fruits that is the problem, it is our activity levels that are. And who in their right mind will tell you to keep away from fruits unless you do have diabetes and have to avoid certain produce? 
What they say you should have:
  • Protein bars: What would people have before protein bars? And wait a minute didn’t your dietician advice you against having sugar? Do yourself a favor and pick up a pack of a protein bar and read the ingredients. There is no sugar there right? Protein bars are just a way of baring you from keeping your hard earned dough!
  • Weird and tasteless food items for breakfast: Yes I refer to Muesli, oats, and granola as weird and tasteless food items. I remember enjoying a bowl of cornflakes as a child, but that was as far as my tryst with foreign foods has reached. Now, what the hell are these new items? When did they pop up? And I grew up eating bread, butter, and tea. Why should I give that up suddenly? Do you know much more those strange products cost over my normal breakfast? 
  • Broccoli and Avocados: How come we are seeing so much of these two everywhere? Where are they grown? Did your parents ever have broccoli before you made them try broccoli soup last year for the first time? And I bet they haven’t even heard of avocados. Go on ask them!  If something isn’t grown locally, it definitely has to have been grown elsewhere and transported to your local vegetable vendor. Imagine the number of preservatives that have been pumped into your salad or soup! 
  • Drink 5-6 liters of water: Jesus Christ- I would need to have access to a toilet at all times if I drink so much water. And how do you possibly keep track? I thought work was already too much to keep track of and now I must keep track of how much water I drink. Do you think our grandparents kept track of how many “containers” of water they would go through? Drink enough to stay hydrated and energized that is how I keep a track of my water intake. 
  • Have food cooked in ghee and have saboodana khichadi and Greek yogurt: But what if in my culture, we don’t know what ghee is? And why would I have Greek yogurt when I can have normal yogurt? And what the hell is saboodana khichadi? How do you even cook it? I thought diet was supposed to be sustainable.  I am sure these items aren't bad for you. But if they are not your staple food or locally available, don't look too hard. There are other things that will work instead. 
I bet every dietician pretends to show you that they customize their diet plans for you. But I am sure if I do a survey of a majority of their clients’ diet sheet, I would see so many similarities. That is because it is easy to be a dietician. It is easy to fool people into believing that what made one person lose 20 pounds, will also work for you. What we don’t see is the difference in our lifestyles and cultures. Ayurveda

So what should you do? 
  • Eat according to your culture: Just because the dietician overlooks your culture’s eating habits doesn’t mean you should. Talk to them and tell them you do not know how to cook saboodana or whatever it is that they are prescribing you. That grilled chicken is difficult and expensive to make since you do not own a griller. 
  • Check with your grandmother: If she doesn’t know something, chuck it. And no tetra pack dairy products, please! Also if you cannot pronounce the ingredients, it may clearly be something you do not want inside your body. AVOID! Go for fresh, locally grown produce. 
  • Save the Mexican food for your trip to Mexico: Some culinary foods have to have special ingredients that may have to be imported. Think PRESERVATIVES!
  • Enjoy your meals, but watch the portions: I will never ever give up biryani or Persian food. I will never give up bun Maska and I will never give up Indian desserts. Instead, I choose to moderate the portions. I also eat when I feel hungry, not every 2 hours on the clock. 
  • Don’t keto: Why should I? My grandmother never did and neither did my mother. I also will not fast to detox! You only detox when you eat food that is toxic to you. But why eat toxic food in the first place? When you buy locally grown and bred produce, and wash it before you cook, I bet you won’t have toxins in you. 
  • Science is a funny field: Green tea was once good for you, and now its benefits are being questioned. Same with red meat. Whom should you believe? Wait a few more years and granola too will be ousted for the same benefits it is being embraced today. 
  • Everything in moderation is fine: Yes you read that right, even alcohol and aerated drinks, can be had. I was a thumbs up addict once not too long ago. It has been a month since I haven't tasted it even. But I won’t stop myself from having a glass with my biryani if I feel the urge to. Drinking a glass of red wine with your dinner is also good. The Italians do it and so can you. Just stick with local wine! 
  • Don’t go to a dietician: Use your brains instead and follow your gut feeling. If something you ate caused you constipation or diarrhea, you know to avoid it. Your gut is the best judge of what you can eat and what you should avoid. 
  • Avoid the one diet for all syndrome: There is no such thing as uniformity in meals. You need to have a colorful meal. The greens, yellows, reds, purples all need to be on display at the dining table. 
  • Quit counting the calories, carbs, and proteins: I will go insane if I have to maintain a food journal and record everything I ate and its exact nutrients. If my gut is happy, I am. If I feel good about myself when I stare into the mirror, I don’t need to know the calories of what I ate. 
  • If you want to follow media shows you, don’t lose sight of its past projections:  Who creates trends? Kareena Kapoor or Shilpa Shetty? What about the actors of the yesteryears? Were they a size zero? I don’t think that a size zero is sexy…it is unhealthy if you have to starve yourself to get there? I remember being disappointed that no one would cast me in movies because I wasn’t “skinny”. But why are we doing this to our existence? We should get into that frame of mind and body where we are happy! I love watching the female stars of bygone eras of Bollywood. They were curvy and sexy. 
  • Capitalism is another culprit: It has given us the “gift” of options, or should I rather say “curse”. These options, my readers, is a big dilemma. Imagine seeing so many men before having to settle on one groom! Oh boy, I rather call off the marriage! I go to the supermarket and find so many milk options in the aisle. I also see so many varieties of teas, and cheese and sugar. Can the mirror on the wall tell me which one I should pick? 
  • Become more active: Take the stairs, walk to your nearest grocery store, Walk around while on a call, and do house chores! We are not putting on weight only because of our food choices; we are obese because we are not as active as our grandparent's generation. Let's move it! move it! 
  • Chew like a cow: On the other hand, chew like a cow and take time to enjoy your meal. This is why I prefer not eating by myself as then I eat too much too quickly. I believe in meal companions' I even had one! 
  • Don't drink, and eat cold foods: They aren't healthy for your gut. Warm the food and drink warm water when possible. Chilled water even during scorching summers can cause your gut immense discomfort. 

All this translates to common sense is less expensive and more valuable. History too is a good companion. Sit your grandmother down and let her share her food tips with you.  Go through your fridge and pantry and chuck all the food items whose ingredients you don’t recognize or have to google. And remember to always go with what’s fresh and that which makes you happy. If it is sustainable, you have just strengthened your relationship with food. So dear dieticians, 'eat and let eat!'

I invite you to share your experience with diet and dieticians.

Here’s the link to my video on the same topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I'd love to hear yours! Do leave a comment.